- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 chicken, cut into 12 pieces*
- 160g butter, softened
- 2 eschalots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 200ml white wine, such as Riesling
- 500ml (2 cups)chicken stock
- 80g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Crusty bread, to serve (optional)
- 6 egg whites
- 150g salt
- 100ml water
- 500g plain flour
- 480g potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chervil
- 4 x 400ml individual pie dishes
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until completely golden. Remove and place in a large bowl.
- Reduce heat to low. Melt 40g butter in pan.
- Cook eschalots and garlic for about 5 minutes or until softened, stirring regularly.
- Transfer to bowl with chicken, along with celery, thyme, bay leaves, wine and stock, mixing well to combine.
- Place 3 pieces of chicken into each pie dish.
- Divide vegetables and stock among dishes, to cover chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle over parmesan, breadcrumbs and drizzle with olive oil. Place onto a large tray, and bake in oven for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180c
- For the salt crust dough, mix egg whites, salt, water and flour in bowl to form a dough. Divide dough into four, then roll into balls. Roll dough balls out, large enough to enclose potatoes. Place a potato into the centre of each piece of dough, and wrap up to enclose, ensuring the potato is completely encased. Place potatoes onto a tray, and bake for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for the herbed butter, combine remaining 120g butter, chervil and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Transfer to a large piece of baking paper and roll up into a log.
- Refrigerate until needed.
Notes: Serves: 4
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Recipe: Emma Dean on Masterchef