These onions are so so so simple and will induce you to forsake all other foods which have come before and worship only them.
Justin North you are a god. Don’t go changing’ ya hear!
8 large shallots
1⁄2 tablespoon non-scented cooking oil
100 g (31⁄2 oz) unsalted butter
salt and freshly ground pepper
50 ml (13⁄4 fl oz) Madeira
- Preheat your oven to 160°C (320°F). Brush the shallots clean but do not peel them, then cut them in half crosswise.
- Heat a small baking tray over a low heat and add just enough oil to moisten. Add the shallots to the pan, cut side down, and arrange them so they sit snugly together. Leave for around 10 minutes so that the natural sugars are released and they start to caramelise.
- Add the butter and increase the heat so that it melts to a nut-brown foam. Season generously and baste the shallots. Transfer to the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Check from time to time to make sure the butter doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and season again. Add the Madeira and swirl around in the pan juices.
- Carefully squeeze the shallots out of their skins and serve at once with the pan juices and a light sprinkling of sea salt.
Chef: justin north