Another recipe from my London flatmate, Liesel, a south african chef. This is a traditional sweet that is considered to be for children. Tastes heavenly! Very similar to a custard tart.
- 350g flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbspn castor sugar
- 170g butter
- 1 egg
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl
- Rub butter into flour till it resembles breadcrumbs
- Beat the egg with the milk
- Add vanilla
- Pour liquid gradually into dry mixture sitrring with a fork to make a soft dough
- Press into a pie dish
- Blind bake for 10 minutes at 160°c
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pints milk
- Blend flour and cornflour into a thin paste with a little of the milk.
- Put remaining milk onto boil with the sugar
- Separate the eggs, beating the egg yolks well an add them to the flour and cornflour mixture, stirring vigorously all the time.
- Return to the pan and cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool a little.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Pour into pastry case
- Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Chill in the fridge till set